For those of you who may not know, this event is an annual occurrence-a celebration of holistic beauty, health, wellbeing, wisdom, and spirituality. The idea is for key players in the green beauty space and wellness to join together and discuss the vital connection between what goes on our bodies and what goes in our bodies and our minds!
The day was filled with presentations by leaders in the industry, including Jason Wachob, founder of MindBodyGreen; Rose-Marie Swift, founder of RMS Beauty; and Gabrielle Bernstein, author of Miracles Now.
As for me? I was booked back-to-back with consultations with attendees all afternoon, helping them to analyze what was going on with their skin and suggesting steps that would help them detox their beauty routines and bring the glow back.
Of course, most of our global CV Skinlabs readers and loyal customers weren’t able to attend. Though I would have loved to have seen you all there (!), I know that’s not possible, so I wanted to do the next best thing-share with you some of the tips I gave our customers in person. So it’s like having your own private consult with me!
Though I can’t give you an individual skin analysis long-distance, I can share with you tips that will help you get more glowing, luminous skin no matter what your skin type!
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Inflammation is a key factor in causing the appearance of aging. Over time, it damages skin luster and is the root cause of most skin conditions like eczema, acne, rosacea, psoriasis, redness, and more. Eat fewer omega-6 fatty acids (chips, fried foods, and vegetable oils like canola, soy bean, and others) and more omega-3 fatty acids (salmon, walnuts, avocado, olive oil, flaxseeds, organic eggs), which will help balance out any internal inflammation going on in your body.
- Take a holistic approach to your skin. The skin is our largest organ and often indicates what’s going on with us internally. That means that skin care isn’t just about your cleanser and moisturizer. To get glowing skin, focus on a healthy diet, exercise regularly, check with your doctor about hormone imbalances, and try to reduce your daily stress.
- Eat a plant-based diet. Fruits and vegetables are the richest source of antioxidants, live enzymes, fiber, water, vitamins and minerals. All of these work together to create beautiful, glowing skin for the inside out. The high fiber and water content of plant foods is also beneficial for proper digestion, which encourages clear, hydrated skin.
- Green your beauty routine! Look closely at the products you’re using. Do they contain harsh ingredients like fragrances, sulfates, alcohols, parabens, or petrolatum/mineral oil? Our skin can absorb many of the chemicals that are applied to it. These ingredients can perpetuate dry, dull skin and clogged pores, as well as increase risk of internal issues such as hormone imbalances. Look for product made with safe, natural ingredients that you can pronounce.
- Ditch the soap and sulfates. They’re too harsh, they strip the skin of natural oils, and they lead to dryness and dullness, particularly if you use them every day for years. Read labels and avoid all products with sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate (SLS and SLES). Don’t be fooled by labels that say “SLS from coconut.” This ingredient is still chemically processed and will still dry out your skin.
- No matter how many products you apply, if you leave a layer of dead skin cells on top, nothing will penetrate. You must get rid of the dull, dead layer of skin regularly. Choose the right exfoliant for your skin type (avoid those with plastic beads or nut-based exfoliants and exfoliate 2-3 times per week.
- Use natural oils for immediate Natural oils deliver many benefits at once, and work more easily with the skin than synthetic ingredients. They will not clog pores, and instead, will bring an immediate radiance to all skin types. Look for coconut, sunflower, olive, fruit, carrot, aloe vera, sandalwood, chamomile, and other similar oils.
- Hydrate with the right products…and drink water! Toning sets the stage for proper moisturization, which is key for creating radiant skin. Choose moisturizers without silicones, dimethicone and other chemicals. Look for shea butter, natural oils, and powerful antioxidants. (Try our Calming Moisture-it’s great for all skin types, including sensitive; loved by celeb makeup artists like Julie Harris and Kristen Arnett; and seen back stage NYC fashion week!) Choose the right one for your skin type and drink water as part of your hydration plan.
- Choose a foundation that enhances your glow! Many foundations dry out your skin after only a couple hours. Look for a cream or liquid with ingredients such as aloe vera gel and coconut, argan, or jojoba oils to ensure your skin is nourished while looking fabulous.
- Add your own highlights. This is my favorite technique to create glowing, illuminated skin. Highlighting products can be powders or creams that contain a slight shimmer, designed to reflect the light. There are many out there that are good for your skin. Look for those made by green beauty companies like RMS Beauty, Ilia Beauty, and Vapor Organic Beauty.
How do you encourage glowing, radiant skin? Please share any tips you may have.