What’s the best toner for dry skin?
We have the answer for you!
But first, you may wonder: Do I need toner at all?
With the recent push to limit the number of skincare products we are using, many people are wondering whether they need to use a toner at all.
Isn’t cleansing and moisturizing enough?
Some in the beauty industry would say “yes.” This is often because toners were originally developed to remove soap scum from the face and to help restore pH balance after cleansing.
Today, however, few people still use soap to wash their faces. (If you’re one of them, stop! Soap is drying and disrupts the health of the skin’s outer barrier.) They use cleansers that rinse more cleanly and are pH balanced for the skin. So the logic goes, we don’t need toner anymore.
But that point of view fails to take into account what we do need from our skincare products today. We may no longer be concerned about removing soap scum, but we are concerned about anti-aging, moisturization, protection, and having our skin look its radiant best.
To reach that goal, you do need a toner. Without one, you could be suffering from dry, irritated skin when you don’t have to.
What the Best Toner for Dry Skin Should Do for You
When you find the best toner to use for your skin this winter, here’s what it should do for you:
- Remove leftover dirt: Any dirt or bacteria that may have been left behind by your cleanser is removed by your toner, giving you a completely clean palette on which to paint your moisturizer.
- Reduce the risk of a breakout: Your toner, by helping to remove dirt and impurities, helps to reduce the risk of breakouts. If you have a really good toner, it will also help to relieve inflammation that could lead to breakouts.
- Calm irritations: The right skin toner should be calming to the skin. It should have ingredients that protect you against irritation, inflammation, and redness.
- Protect: The right toner will also add protection to the skin. By smoothing pores and tightening cell gaps after cleansing, it can help prevent outside impurities and pollutants from penetrating the skin.
- Prepare for moisturizer: This is one of the most important reasons to use toner. If you cleanse and go straight to moisturizer, you’ll be cheating yourself, as your moisturizer won’t work as well. Typically after cleansing, the skin soaks up moisture quickly. That means you may feel dry and tight within an hour or two (or sooner). Indeed, this may be why you’re suffering from dry skin. If you use the right toner, it will impart some moisture onto the skin, so that when you apply your regular moisturizer, it will adequately hydrate for hours to come.
- Refresh: A toner can be refreshing if it’s the right one, whether you use it after cleansing or in the middle of the day. It can help your skin cope with daily stresses, rehydrate, and support the health of the outer barrier.
So now that you know what your toner should do for you, which toner is best for dry skin?
Because it does all of those things listed above and more. Check it out:
- Removes: As long as you use a cotton pad to lightly go over your face after spritzing on our Rescue + Relief Spray, it will help remove any last traces of dirt and impurities.
- Reduces risk: In addition to removing bacteria, our toner contains ingredients known for their ability to reduce inflammation in the skin, further reducing the risk of acne breakouts.
- Calms: Made for sensitive and medically treated skin, Rescue + Relief Spray contains water lily and aloe to calm and cool the skin. It also includes oat kernel extract to relieve itching and irritations.
- Protects: Rescue + Relief Spray includes our exclusive Tri-Rescue Complex, a trio of powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatories that protect your skin from outside assaults.
- Prepares: This toner is moisturizing, containing glycerin, natural plant extracts, and triglycerides to help prepare the skin for moisturizer.
- Refreshes: Rescue + Relief Spray contains cucumber and honeysuckle extracts to provide a refreshing, renewing feel.
But this product goes beyond these benefits. It also contains ingredients that encourage skin renewal, repair, and healing. No matter what skin type you have, it will love Rescue + Relief Spray.
Best Toner for Dry Skin Dos and Don’ts
Now that you know which toner is best, it’s important to use it the right way. Consider these tips:
- Don’t use toner to cleanse your face. It always works best applied to clean skin. (You can use our Rescue + Relief Spray as a mist over your makeup if you want to.)
- Don’t use an alcohol-based toner. These are drying and disrupt the outer barrier, leading to dry and irritated skin down the road.
- Apply toner before your skin is dry. After cleansing, pat dry, then apply toner. Leaving a little moisture on your face will increase the hydrating effects of the toner, and also allow it to penetrate more easily.
- Use a cotton pad. Though you can mist our toner on your face, we suggest that when using it as a toner that you follow up with a cotton pad. This allows you to remove any remaining impurities from the skin.
- Be consistent. Use your toner regularly as part of your overall skincare routine. A consistent process that includes toner will help improve the overall condition of your skin.
What do you think about the wisdom of using a toner?