If there’s one thing we all recognize as part of younger-looking skin, it’s that youthful glow.
There is something in young skin that makes it look naturally radiant and vibrant. Unfortunately, we all tend to lose this natural radiance as we age.
We can get it back. In this article, we’ll give you several tips on how you can do just that.
You’ve probably heard a lot about glowing skin, but wondered where you are on the spectrum. Maybe you don’t have the same skin you did when you were 15, but how far are you away from achieving that look again?
The opposite of young, glowing skin is dull, lackluster skin. You may suspect that this is where your skin is now, but if you’re not sure, here are some signs:
Signs of dull skin
- Dry skin
- Dark circles under the eyes
- More noticeable fine lines and wrinkles
- Uneven skin tone or texture
- Old acne scars
- Skin that looks flat; loss of volume and suppleness
- Skin that appears tired
Here’s another tip: imagine a bowl of strawberries. When they are fresh and ripe, they have that special, mouth-watering shine to them. After they’ve been sitting for a few days, they lose some of their water content to evaporation and start to look dull.
The same can happen to your skin over time. Instead of that youthful, vibrant shine, your skin looks parched and dull.
What Causes Us to Lose that Youthful Glow?
Several different factors work together to rob you of the radiance you used to have.
Causes of dull skin
- Dehydration (not enough moisture)
- Sun damage
- Pollution damage
- Age (as we get older, skin turnover slows down, damage accumulates, dark spots appear, and fines lines form—all contributing to a dull, lackluster appearance)
- Clogged pores
- Accumulation of dead skin cells on the surface
- Poor diet lacking in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of sleep
- Overuse of harsh skincare products
- Inflammation (which can be a result of all these factors listed)
7 Steps to Revive that Youthful Glow in Your Skin
Now that you know more about dull skin, let’s talk about how you can reverse it and enjoy more youthful, radiant skin once again.
We’re listing this one first because a) it’s the easiest, fastest way to a more youthful glow and b) because it works!
Look at any of our testimonials and you’ll see—our customers love how our products leave behind a natural-looking glow.
One of the reasons why our products are so good at this is that we included in each one our proprietary Tri-Rescue Complex. It consists of three ingredients that directly address inflammation, pollution, sun damage, and stress, giving skin what it needs to overcome the factors causing dullness so it can recover a more youthful radiance.
- Turmeric: A spice that comes from the turmeric plant, turmeric contains the active compound curcumin. This compound has been shown in studies to help reduce oxidative stress, fight free radical damage, ease inflammation, and provide antioxidant protection. All of these properties help improve redness and evenness of skin tone, soothe skin irritation, and restore skin’s natural healthy appearance.
- Reishi Mushroom: This is a fungus that grows naturally in the hot and humid areas of Asia. A staple of Eastern medicine for centuries, it provides anti-cancer action, antioxidant protection, and anti-allergenic properties. In our formulas, it helps soothe and revitalize the skin, while protecting against damaging free radicals and helping to calm irritated skin.
- Alpha Bisabolol: A major component of chamomile, alpha-bisabolol is known for its anti-inflammatory, wound-healing, and conditioning properties. It helps soothe skin, reduce redness, tame inflammation, and calm irritation.
Of course, we have many other ingredients in our products that help to restore that youthful glow, but this one is unique to us and is particularly effective.
2. Eat a Healthy Diet.
You may not think that what you eat affects your skin much, but recent research shows that it can be very impactful. Eating junk food has been linked with a higher level of inflammation in the skin. Eating nutritious, whole foods that are full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, on the other hand, gives your skin what it needs to repair itself and recover from all the damage it’s suffered over a lifetime.
Don’t forget to include healthy fats in your meal plan. These are critical to giving the skin what it needs to make strong cell membranes, restore the outer barrier, and plump up sagging areas. Healthy fats are those found in nuts, flaxseed, avocados, fatty fish, and the like.
3. Stick to Your Daily Workout
Exercise is critical for healthy skin. When we exercise, we experience these benefits:
- Increased blood flow, which gets healthy nutrients to the skin where it can use it.
- Stress relief, as exercise reduces harmful hormones that accelerate skin aging.
- Toxin reduction, since exercise pushes toxins to the surface of the skin where they can then be washed off.
Keep in mind that research has linked regular aerobic exercise to younger-looking skin. In a study of people 65 and older, scientists found that those who exercised more frequently had skin that resembled that of much younger individuals—those between 20 and 40 years old.
4. Exfoliate Weekly
Dead skin cell buildup is one of the most common reasons for dull, lackluster skin. As we age, skin cell turnover naturally slows down. You can help speed it up again by sloughing off that dead skin and allowing the younger, brighter-looking cells to come forth sooner than they otherwise would.
Exfoliation also helps keep clogged pores and blemishes under control. Choose a gentle exfoliating agent—no harsh scrubs—to avoid scratching or irritating your skin.
5. Stress Less and Get Enough Sleep
Both stress and sleep deprivation make you look older. Stress causes the body to release hormones that accelerate skin aging, and sleep deprivation does the same. (See our article, “Why Your Poor Night’s Sleep Could Make You Look Older.”
Regular exercise will help improve both of these issues, but make sure that you are also engaging in a stress-relieving activity every day. Choose what works for you—meditation, yoga, tai chi, journaling, walking, spending time with friends, pet therapy, etc.—and commit to it for your good health and radiant skin.
6. Moisturize from the Inside Out
Skin requires daily moisture to look and act its best. And there are so many things that rob your skin of that moisture! The sun, harsh weather, dry air, heating and air conditioning, mild dehydration, age, and more are just some of them.
Moisture, when your skin has enough of it, helps fill in fine lines and wrinkles with added lipids (fats), giving you a smoother, reflective surface. It also helps repair the outer barrier, which improves water retention.
You need a quality moisturizer and you need to apply it frequently—at least twice a day. We recommend our Calming Moisture and Body Repair Lotion, as they will instantly give you a more radiant glow while addressing everything the skin needs to hold onto moisture longer.
It also means that you need to be sure you’re drinking enough water every day. Even mild dehydration can exacerbate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
7. Use Face Masks Weekly
Dull skin is stressed skin. In other words, your skin isn’t happy. You can fix that by pampering it with weekly masks.
Face masks are targeted treatments formulated to give skin an instant boost and glow. Choose a charcoal or clay mask if you’re extra oily, or choose a hydrating, moisturizing mask if you’re dry. Feel free to alternate between the two and mask twice a week. Any extra care you can give your skin through masks will help it recover.
One More Tip for Getting that Youthful Glow
One more tip to help you get glowing skin: Use a vitamin C serum. Vitamin C is one of the best topical ingredients you can use to brighten skin tone and help your skin look younger.
How do you get that youthful glow?