Mother’s Day reminds us to honor our mothers, but what about practicing some self-care for yourself?
It may feel a little funny, but you owe it to yourself to take some time out now and then to care for your health and well-being. What better day for that than Mother’s Day, which is set aside to honor you?
We’ve got seven easy and fun ways to practice self-care below. Feel free to try one of these, or come up with some of your own.
Self-Care Tip #1: Say No
This is a hard one for most moms. We’re not suggesting you leave the people you care about in the lurch. It is important, though, to realize you can’t always be everything for everyone. Sometimes you need to pull back and be there for yourself.
For Mother’s Day, think about what you really need and what would truly nourish you, body and soul, and go do it. Say “no” to any other obligations or chores. They will wait.
Self-Care Tip #2: Be Kind to Your Body
It’s there for you as you go about your busy life. But if you don’t take care of it, your body will eventually start to break down.
Take some time on Mother’s day to re-connect to your body and give it what it needs. That may be a couple of hours or extra sleep, a nice long walk, or a pampering massage. Get a manicure or pedicure, sign up for a new exercise class, or take a nice easy bike ride.
You may be amazed at how much your body responds to just a little loving attention from you.
Green spaces reduce stress. It can also leave you feeling inspired and refreshed. Try planning a day hike, picnic lunch by the river, or overnight trip into the mountains.
If you just can’t get away, head over to your nearest park and take a walk there, or stroll through the botanical gardens in your town. At the very least, plant some flowers in your flower bed or get some fresh blooms to showcase in your dining room.
Self-Care Tip #4: Make Some DIY Skin Care Products
Few things can make you feel as good as fresh, vibrant skin. You can get creative, have some fun, and help your skin look better than ever by using the ingredients you have around your home to make your own skincare products. If you like, make a little extra and share it with your friends.
- Body scrub: Combine 1/4-cup olive oil, 1-cup brown sugar, and 15 drops of peppermint oil into a coarse paste. Place into a glass jar and use when ready.
- Face mask: Bring your face to life with this tasty mask. Mash one-half banana in a bowl. Mix in a tablespoon of orange juice and a tablespoon of honey. Combine into a paste and use immediately. Apply all over your face and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off.
- Bath salts: Mix 2 cups Epsom salts and 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil in a bowl. Using a funnel, pour the salts into a jar and use them when needed.
- Makeup remover: Melt one tablespoon coconut oil in your microwave until liquified. Pour the melted oil, one cup distilled water, 1-1/2 teaspoon baby shampoo, and 1-3 drops lavender essential oil into a mason jar. Attach the lid and shake well to mix. Pour into a squeeze bottle for easy access and store in a cool, dark place.
Self-Care Tip #5: Nourish Your Inner Glow
A big part of looking and feeling good is eating a healthy diet. If your diet has been rushed and processed lately, you can perform a reset by using Mother’s Day to put only healthy, wholesome, and nourishing foods into your body.
Try starting with a glow-getting smoothie, made with nutrients known to promote a healthy-looking complexion.
- 1/2-cup plain coconut water (or almond milk or juice)
- 2 frozen bananas (peeled and sliced)
- 1-cup chopped pineapple (frozen or fresh)
- 1-cup chopped mango (frozen or fresh)
- 2-cups spinach or kale
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Optional: one tablespoon ground flax or flaxseed oil
Add all ingredients into a strong, powerful blender, and blend on high for at least three minutes or until smooth. Enjoy!
When was the last time you re-thought your skincare routine? Are you using the same products and the same routine as you did five years ago? If so, it may be time for a change.
The most important thing is to make sure all your skincare products contain only good-for-you ingredients. If you have cleansers full of sulfates that make your skin feel tight, or moisturizers with petrolatum products and fragrances, dump them out and treat yourself to newer, better products that will truly nourish your skin.
Of course, we recommend our CV Skinlabs products because they are all made with healthy skin in mind. We only include safe and effective ingredients that help tame inflammation, encourage repair, and leave skin with a radiant, healthy glow. But no matter what products you use, read the ingredient list before you buy so you know that you’re getting the good stuff.
Self-Care Tip #7: Create a New Space Just for You
Do you have somewhere you can go when you’re feeling stressed or frazzled? A place that allows you to be you, that helps you feel at peace, or that brings you back to your center?
If not, it’s time to get one. It may be only a corner of a room, a garage, or a single chair near a window. Maybe it’s a closet under the staircase, a space under the eaves of the attic, or your she-shed in the back yard. Or you could use a divider screen to separate space in the living room or basement. Whatever it is, use Mother’s Day to make it your own.
This should be a place where you can unwind, read, and take sanctuary from any outside intrusions. Add a favorite picture on the wall, a good reading light, a footstool, a lush comforter or throw, a candle, and maybe a cup warmer for your cup of tea. Have fun decorating it, then use it whenever you need it.
How do you practice self-care?